Friday, October 19, 2007

Teskni za Polska!

I've been home for about 2 months and am missing Poland a lot. I really wish I could hope on a train and be at Babcia's in 7 hours, or Gdansk in 4 hours or Krakow in 3. Because not only would this mean I'd be able to have a sweet adventure, but also that my school schedule would be significantly less chaotic. Collegium in Warsaw was essentially a semester off, and while my summer language program was gruelling, it was all for fun. What is not fun is the hectic work schedule I signed myself up for this year. I can't complain too much, because a lot of it has to do with my honors thesis which is a) the most awesome topic ever and b) the reason I was able to stay in Poland for so long.

The grueling class schedule does mean, unforch, that I don't really have time to update about my recent fall break trip to Nashville, TN, the country music capital of the world. I also want to do a "best of Poland" post-it's in the works, honest. All I can do right now, however is direct you to the NYTimes, trusted bastion of information, for an article about recent Polish immigration trends. For the last several years, young Poles have been flocking to Great Britian for work opportunities. The numbers are really, really high, but it seems like that might be changing. The photo for the article is pretty great:NY Times article

Also, today is election day in Poland! Little known fact about Polska is that the president and prime minister are identical twin brothers. Which just really doesn't seem like a good idea, regardless of their politics, which are alarmingly conservative. Most young people really can't stand the Kaczynski brothers, and today, the prime minister Jaroslaw Kaczynski declared defeat!

I just started a new blog! It's a blog for the Urban Debate League of Atlanta, that I've worked with for the last 4 years and that I love madly. So, please check it out to see what we do and how awesome are kids are. It's still in the works, so if anyone has feedback, that'd be great!

UPDATE: Here's a Times article about the Polish Election.

No comments: