Friday, March 2, 2007

Classes



Yesterday was my first real Polish class here at school, and it went pretty well. The class was fairly easy and was mostly a review of what I learned over the summer-they use the same book and are only halfway through where we got at Jagellonia. After class I talked to the coordinator about trying out the next level, because I really want to improve my Polish. I've been kind of stressed out/uncomfortable about my classes here, because it's a Political Science program and I study History, so I can't quite figure out which classes to take or how many. I feel like if I have to suffer through classes about Russian Politics and Diplomacy, my Polish better get better. I had my friend Zuza come with me to talk to the coordinator, and when they realized that I could understand everything they were saying in Polish, they sent me to the top "conversation class." There was only one other student there, who was very nice and helpful, but it's hard being in a conversation class when I can't actually speak much Polish. But the other classes still seem to be stuck on the basic "Hello my name is__, how are you?" so this will be good, especially if I study the more basic grammar and vocab on my own. I hope.

My other classes are easy-it's actually kind of ridiculous. Most teachers don't require attendance, have oral final exams, and dont' give out homework or require reading. I'm taking one class that has an 8 page final and 15 minute class presenation, and students are blown away by how much work that is. Classes only meet for an hour and a half a week, but the typical class load is 8 classes. I'm taking 7 classes and world dance, which is pretty awesome so far.

Because the school here is so small and because there arent' any other American exchange students I'm considered an Erasmus student, which is great because the Erasmus students have organized get togethers and trips throughout Poland. Tonight we're having a group dinner, then tomorrow I will hopefully see Dorotka. Other than that, my plans for the weekend include trying to find someplace where I can buy a pillow and extra towels (which is way harder than it sounds).

1 comment:

Linnea said...

So, I decided to come visit your blog and bug you about updating it, but apparently I hadn't visited since February 22nd because you've updated it THREE times since I checked.

Your blog is lovely, just like Shoshi's, and I'm glad to hear Poland is awesome.

Keep updatin'!